Quality choices for communities
The Herefordshire Housing Group includes Herefordshire Housing Ltd and Independence Trust. Many of our services are recognised nationally as examples of best practice. These services include Careline, a highly professional and responsive telecare service, as well as our initiatives in Anti-Social Behaviour where we have carried out work for other organisations involving the use of CCTV and Noise Monitoring Equipment. Many of our services are available to other organisations on a commercial basis.
Our colleagues all work to four key values – Respect, Involve, Support and Exceed expectations. We call these our RISE values, because they help us rise to challenges and improve as a business. To see more about our performance click here.
Providing affordable housing, and far more…
We employ over 250 colleagues and provide a wide range of services to all of our customers – from supporting independent living and helping people find work, through to repairing homes and ensuring our communities are peaceful and safe. Our services focus on three key areas – people, homes and communities.
We have excellent close relationships with many other organisations, and will work with these wherever necessary to create quality choices for our customers. These organisations include Herefordshire Council, youth groups, local charities, schools, local employers and the police.
Our key philosophy is to work closely with customers to understand their needs, so we can deliver the services they want. We achieve this by:
Listening to and involving them, ensuring our services are relevant and support their independence, development and growth
Supporting each other to make sure our services set the highest standards, and continually exceed expectations.
We have four key values:
We RESPECT the individuality of our colleagues and customers and tailor our approach to reflect their different needs
We INVOLVE people in service developments and delivery, so we understand what’s wanted. This helps make sure our services are more relevant and responsive
We SUPPORT each other, always deliver our promises and take pride in our work and outcomes
We EXCEED expectation by always doing what we say, and always looking to add value by doing even more.
Taking the first letter from each word (Respect, Involve, Support, Exceed), we call these our RISE values – because they help us constantly raise standards, rise to challenges and improve as an organisation. These values are ingrained within our culture, and have helped establish us as one of the UK’s fastest improving housing associations, with an ever expanding range of services aimed at enhancing well-being and quality of life.
We’re committed to helping people enjoy a rich and fulfilling life – both in their own homes and in the wider community. We achieve this in a number of ways and through a wide range of initiatives including.
- Enabling vulnerable people to live independently with aids and adaptations or access to Careline – our dedicated social alarm monitoring service
- Supporting young people with mental health issues to take the step from residential care to independence
- A dedicated customer call centre, which handles around 300,000 calls every year
- Developing key services to address some of the challenges and isolation that age can sometimes bring
- Raising aspirations and increasing opportunities for people of all ages, helping them find employment and realise their potential
- Introducing Braille signage on door entry systems to help improve access for people with visual impairments
- Creating a new team of Housing Support Advisers to work with around 150 vulnerable customers
We’re a social landlord with over 5800 properties under management and an active programme of new build and repair and refurbishment. Our aim is to create and maintain homes people enjoy and want to live in.
- 100% of our properties meet the decent homes standard
- Each year we carry out over 20,000 repairs. Our 99.4% track-record for completing jobs on time places us among the top 25% of landlords nationally
- We’re working towards eliminating fuel poverty, with clear targets on reducing the number of homes that have low energy efficiency ratings
We’re committed to creating communities that people feel safe in, feel inspired by, and want to contribute to. To help create this sense of belonging, we’ve developed a range of services and activities, including:
- Neighbourhood Action Co-ordinators, whose work in creating safe and respectful communities is gaining national recognition
- Delivering local prevention events such as ‘crucial crew’ in partnership with the police, fire service and local youth associations and schools
- Introducing a local lettings policy and good neighbourhood agreement, to help improve tenancy on the ground
- Developing inspection checklists, with residents setting the standards
- Funding more community projects year on year
- Working with JobCentre plus and local employers to bring opportunities to people
- Helping different generations understand each other better
- Organising family friendly events throughout the school holidays
- Investing in local neighbourhoods, such as The Oval Community Plan.